How to Install a Car Battery
Although car battery installation may seem like a straightforward process, there are steps you should take to do it safely. First, make sure you have the following tools:
- Battery Cleaning Solution
- New Battery
- Wire Brush
- Anti-Corrosion Spray
- Thick Rubber Gloves
Make sure that your skin is protected using protective gloves, and avoid spilling battery acid during car battery installation. Follow the instructions to safely and correctly install a car battery near Hendersonville.
Car Battery Installation Steps
- Make sure the engine is turned off and the brake switched to Park. Open the hood and find the battery. Once located, loosen the nut that connects the black (negative) cable from the battery using a wrench.
- Once the nut is loosened, twist, and pull the cable off. If it is stuck, don’t use a screwdriver as it can damage the battery. Use the same steps to remove the red battery cable on the positive terminal.
- The battery clamp keeps the battery from shifting in the engine. Loosen and then remove it.
- Take out the battery but be careful to use both hands as dropping it can cause an unsafe acid leak.
- Remove any corrosion that’s on the battery tray and down the clamp using a battery cleaning solution.
- Use a wire brush and battery cleaning product to clean the battery and cable.
- Place the new battery in the battery tray and tighten the hold-down clamp.
- Now spray an anti-corrosion solution onto the positive and negative terminals of the new battery before connecting it to prevent corrosion and extend the battery life.
- Attach the battery cables to the battery terminals. First, connect the red cable then the black.
- Double-check the connections to make sure they’re secure and that the battery is tight enough in the clamp that it doesn’t shift.
- Start the car. If you have any issues, contact us and we’ll be happy to assist you.
Learn More At-Home Maintenance Tips at Music City Autoplex
Now that you know how to install a car battery and how to find a car battery installation near me if needed, you’re ready to get to work installing a new car battery! Whether you need to know how often you need your oil changed, how to remove a car battery or have further questions about installing a new battery, our car maintenance tips can guide you through it.
More From Music City Autoplex